WooCommerce 3.4.3 is now available.~59 commits made it into this release and the full changelog is below.
* Fix - Fix label for the price filter widget on RTL sites. #20417
* Fix - Checkout: stopPropagation when payment method selected so description tips show on radio buttons. #20432
* Fix - Shipping zone settings: fixed title for shipping methods without settings. #20441
* Fix - Ensure custom Webhook topic selections are correctly saved in admin. #20406
* Fix - Webhook bottom bulk actions. #20445
* Fix - Fixes multisite orders dashboard widget to use order number rather than ID. #20457
* Fix - Add check to ensure download log FK does not exist before adding it. Update routine will cleanup any duplicates. #20478
* Fix - IPv6 support with HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR header. #20479
* Fix - Avoid setting wrong prices when syncing grouped products with children. #20482
* Fix - Separation of explode and end functions in two lines. End function should get a reference as parameter. #20500
* Fix - Initialize payment gateways before running bulk actions so gateways can listen for events. #20502
* Fix - Cast shipping total to a float so incl. tax shows only when needed. #20531
* Fix - Fix automatic stock status updates based on stock level. #20573
* Fix - Improved sanitize_special_column_name_regex trim to fix column matching when importing CSVs. #20486
* Fix - Force importer log table to wrap long columns. #20534
* Fix - Rest API: Prevent errors if variation parent is invalid and cannot be read. #20572
* Fix - Rest API: Remove legacy API enabled check from auth endpoint. #20499
* Fix - Display products on sub-subcategories when sorting parent category by price. #20579
* Fix - Set order status to refunded when a PayPal transaction is refunded. #20574
* Fix - fix undefined index in abstract-wc-widget. #20544
* Fix - Round items for order total when recalculating order values to match cart. #20533
* Fix - Removed mysql transactions when updating order status, tweaked caching, and improved version transient cleanup to prevent possible deadlocks on checkout. #20537
* Tweak - Added a message to promote Wootenberg when running Gutenberg feature plugin. #20524
* Tweak - Added a warning notice before removing personal data from orders in bulk. #20481
* Dev - generate_select_html and generate_multiselect_html functions again support the usage of integer-keyed arrays as available values. #20569
* Dev - Allow order billing fields to use a provided 'value'. #20424
WooCommerce 3.4.2 is now available.~32 commits made it into this release and the full changelog is below.
* Fix - Flexslider gallery fixes for RTL sites, and for variation image switching. #20328 ##20321
* Fix - Allow forms to be submitted when the password strength library fails to load. #20362
* Fix - Personal data exporter: Do not export a customer data group containing no data. #20347
* Fix - Fix navigation notification in settings when clicking save. #20335
* Fix - Show discount amount for free shipping coupons. #20334
* Fix - Fixed cache clearing for category children for sites running object caching. #20308
* Fix - Use correct escaping on select2 placeholders. #20364
* Fix - Order by price clauses when searching within terms. #20391
* Fix - Clear needs_processing transient when adding a product to an order. #20390
* Enhancement - Permission_id constraint checks on install. #20366
* Dev - Added order to "woocommerce_order_is_vat_exempt" filter arguments. #20365
* Localization - Disable states for Bahrain. #20363
* Localization - Disable states for Luxemberg. #20389
WooCommerce 3.4.1 is available.~61 commits made it into this release and the full changelog is below.
* Fix - Fix webhook admin filtering URLs. #20236
* Fix - Add missing wp_unslash calls to product data meta box to prevent quote characters being escaped on save. #20235
* Fix - Display price filter widget in LTR mode on RTL sites. #20221
* Fix - Refactor WC_Coupon constructor to allow for passing in coupon objects. #20193
* Fix - Path field in advanced CSV importer was broken due to an esc_url call. #20191
* Fix - Prevent shipping method instances trying to save settings on non-instance screens. #20217
* Fix - Wrapper function to get full mysql version string with mariadb handling. #20231
* Fix - woocommerce_pagination had some extra white space. #20214
* Fix - If a file size cannot be read, ignore range headers to prevent offsite downloads being 0kb. #20205
* Fix - Allow HTML when using `wc_attribute_label()`. #20202
* Fix - Update address-i18n.js to prevent appending multiple "(optional)" labels. #20195
* Fix - Check plugin properties exist when listening to auto_update_plugin hook. #20234
* Fix - Add extra checks in `get_canonical_package_rate_ids` to prevent notices. #20237
* Fix - Fix infinite loop with importing tax rates. #20253
* Fix - Echo attribute label for "empty" default option. #20256
* Fix - Fix download sample tax rates URL format. #20272
* Fix - Product properties should not be accessed directly PHP notice when calling `wc_get_product_attachment_props`. #20282
* Fix - If flexslider is disabled, gallery images also need to trigger photoswipe on click. #20290
* Fix - Product import file uploads on windows servers. #20273
* Fix - Fix variation attribute selection via the cart page/query string. #20293
* Fix - Add greater specificity to required styling in 2017 theme. #20296
* Enhancement - Export legacy paypal meta data in personal data exporter. #20200
* Enhancement - Improve performance of `wc_update_340_states` update routine to help prevent timeouts. #20241
* Dev - Remove red styling for PHP notice if using > 5.6. #20294
* Dev - Add an action hook after printing the cart item name. #20190
* Localization - Use "payment tokens" terminology in exports. #20197
Fixed terms and conditions preview when the terms and conditions option is unset.
Change token export format to match WordPress 4.9.
Updated some missing template file versions.
Use GET in external product form so query strings are preserved.
Escape and decode ampersands correctly for external products.
Preview checkout without a dummy product to prevent conflicts.
Remove . from strings for checkbox settings.
Data erasers; target shop_order only and added filters for 3rd parties.
Remove legacy PayPal meta data from orders.
When cleaning up CSV import, only remove product taxonomies. #20094
And we’ve added the following to the changelog as it affects older versions also:
* Tweak - In CSV exports, wrap cell in ' rather than just prepending to escape values. #20041
* Tweak - Add JS listeners for reloading/reinitializing order items in edit-order page. #20082
* Fix - When duplicating variation, set the date to null. #20083
* Fix - Fix rounding of line items for orders to match cart. #20086
* Fix - Remove hardcoded border in email template. #20090
* Fix - Prevent autofocus on checkout. #20123
* Fix - Recalc taxes if address changes in API. #20137
* Dev - Made wc_query_string_form_fields handle strings. #20162
* Localization - Fix missing Bahrain country code. #20061
This post summarises the changes and features you’ll find in our 3.4 release scheduled to drop May 23rd.
Personal data exporter
WordPress 4.9.6 includes both the ability to export personal data associated with an email address to a HTML file. WooCommerce 3.4 will add to the generated export file, exporting the following data:
Customer address/account information
Orders associated with the given email address
Download permissions and logs associated with the given email address
To ensure requests are genuine, 4.9.6 includes a requests table and confirmation email to verify the request. The verification flow consists of the following steps:
Add an email address or username.
The user is notified via email with a confirmation link.
The confirmation link is used and the request is marked “confirmed”.
Admin triggers an email to the user which contains a link to download their personal data.
Personal data files can also be manually generated by the admin and downloaded. The file itself is a simple HTML file, zipped.
WordPress exports it’s own data in the same way, so things such as media files, posts, and comments/reviews are also taken care of!
Personal data eraser
Like the exporter, the eraser allows you to verify requests are legitimate before fulfilling them. It uses the same verification/email/requests system as the exporter.
We understand this can be slightly more complicated with stores because you may need to keep data for other reasons, such as tax compliance or compliance with other laws.
With that in mind, we have made some of our erasure routines optional:
These settings are off by default.
Additionally, if you ever delete a user manually, we’ve improved our cleanup functions so that the following data is removed along with the user:
Orders (are converted into guest orders)
And if you need to manually anonymise orders in bulk for a user you can search for them in admin and use the new “remove personal data” bulk action:
This keeps the order around, but removes all personal data and converts the order into a guest order.
Data retention settings
To help reduce the amount of personal data that’s stored, WooCommerce 3.4 allows you to define how long you want to retain data that is no longer needed for order processing:
These settings are found in WooCommerce > Settings > Accounts and privacy.
Failed, pending, and canceled orders which get cleaned up will be moved to the trash.
Completed orders which get cleaned up will be anonymized so sales stats are unaffected.
Inactive accounts will be deleted. An inactive account is one which has not been logged in to, or which has not placed orders, for the specified time.
If enabled, cleanup will run via a daily cron job. Inactive accounts are tracked using meta data, and only subscribers/customer accounts are removed. An upgrade routine will set all account last active times to the time you updated to 3.4.
Checkout page display options
To reduce the amount of personal data stored you can turn off some optional fields you may not require for processing.
Additionally, you can now change the terms and conditions checkbox text to meet your needs:
Both of these options can be found in the Customiser (Appearance > Customizer > WooCommerce > Checkout) and the preview is live so you can see what effects these changes will have on your checkout before hitting publish.
WordPress 4.9.6 includes a privacy page setting as well as a mechanism for plugins to suggest content. WooCommerce adds some suggested content of it’s own.
Other plugins can do the same which should allow you to piece together a policy which applies to your users.
Account registration form
The notice in the case of the checkout is shown above the place order button automatically:
Both notices can be customised in WooCommerce > Settings > Accounts and privacy or the Customiser.
Changes to log files
We’ve made some changes to our logging system in core, as well as revised what data gets logged.
We’ve done an audit of our usage of logs in WooCommerce and removed any unnecessary personal information from the logs. Notably:
Webhook logs no longer log the webhook body and response unless WP_DEBUG mode is turned on. This avoids personal information sent with webhooks being logged to the server.
PayPal debug logging no longer logs the personal data sent to PayPal and masks it out. The setting itself now includes a disclaimer that it should be used for debug purposes only and should be disabled when complete.
For PayPal specifically, payer email/name is no longer logged within order meta – this information can be found using the transaction ID and visiting the PayPal website instead.
When PayPal debugging logging is turned off, the logs are purged.
Logs will now rotate daily, and log files will be deleted after 30 days by default. A filter can be used (woocommerce_logger_days_to_retain_logs) to extend this if needed. The cleanup is performed using a cron job.
These changes apply to both file based logging, and database based logging, which are both options within WooCommerce core.
The above features will require both WooCommerce 3.4 and WordPress 4.9.6. Both will be released before the May 25th GDPR deadline. If you’re interested in testing WooCommerce 3.4, see our beta announcement here.