WooCommerce 3.3 will include a new download logging/reporting feature to track who downloads what from your store (when selling digital products). The issue relating to this was initially logged here.
- A new
WC_Customer_Download_Logclass supporting data stores to store logs to a custom table in the database.
- Revised how download ids are generated to no longer rely on md5 hashes of filenames. This means each download has a unique ID which can be tracked.
- A new report which lists downloads made by customers, along with information such as IP address.
- Permission checks utilise the download log/tracking functions to make them more robust.
Visually, when viewing a download permission inside an order you’ll see a new link to the reports:
When this is clicked you’ll go off to the reporting section to see logs filtered to this permission ID:
You’ll notice we track the following per download:
- Timestamp of download event
- Product/file that was downloaded, from what ID
- Logged in user name
- IP Address
The Reports > Orders > Customer downloads section allows you to filter logs by any of these properties.
Thats it 🙂 Just a small enhancement we hope you’ll find useful.