For the past few months, we’ve been quietly working on something we think will be a big part of the future of WooCommerce: WooCommerce Connect.
Connect is a new architecture for integrating services with WooCommerce. We’re taking advantage of a SaaS-style Automattic-hosted server to do the heavy lifting and have created a new Calypso-style interface. On the users’s end, they’ll just see a streamlined experience:
- No additional extensions to install
- No API keys to remember
- No subscription keys to copy and paste
We’ve built the foundation and added our first service. This first iteration supports real-time USPS shipping rates for stores based in the United States. Now, we’d like to welcome you to the testing phase.
This first Alpha release of WooCommerce Connect works with the WooCommerce 2.6 Beta and with Jetpack to bring hassle free USPS shipping to WooCommerce Shipping Zones.
Since this is an alpha version, there’s a lot we plan to add, change and enhance. Please take care – this early pre-release code should not be used on production sites.
At this time, WooCommerce Connect is delivered as a feature plugin, and the grand plan is to roll out Connect into a future WooCommerce core release.
For developers, this is an great opportunity to:
- see the future of WooCommerce development
- see examples of incorporating React into WooCommerce administration
- see how we’re using JSON schemas provided by the WooCommerce Connect servers to drive the layout and composition of the forms for shipping services – making adding features much less likely to require plugin updates
- see examples of how to extend the WP REST API and Shipping Zones in WooCommerce 2.6
Alpha is out today. Subsequent alphas will be released if needed and we’ll post on this blog if this happens.
If all goes to plan, Beta will begin during June 2016.
If you’d like to help test, sign-up to be a tester – we’d love to hear from you!